Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Farewell Andy Olmsted

Major Andrew Olmsted, a U.S. soldier serving in Iraq and frequent blogger at Obsidian Wings, was killed in action on on January 3rd. He left behind a final post to be published in the event of his death. Here's an excerpt:
Soldiers cannot have the option of opting out of missions because they don't agree with them: that violates the social contract. The duly-elected American government decided to go to war in Iraq.... As a soldier, I have a duty to obey the orders of the President of the United States as long as they are Constitutional. I can no more opt out of missions I disagree with than I can ignore laws I think are improper. I do not consider it a violation of my individual rights to have gone to Iraq on orders because I raised my right hand and volunteered to join the army. Whether or not this mission was a good one, my participation in it was an affirmation of something I consider quite necessary to society. So if nothing else, I gave my life for a pretty important principle; I can (if you'll pardon the pun) live with that.
...
Sometimes going to war is the right idea. I think we've drawn that line too far in the direction of war rather than peace, but I'm a soldier and I know that sometimes you have to fight if you're to hold onto what you hold dear. But in making that decision, I believe we understate the costs of war; when we make the decision to fight, we make the decision to kill, and that means lives and families destroyed. Mine now falls into that category; the next time the question of war or peace comes up, if you knew me at least you can understand a bit more just what it is you're deciding to do, and whether or not those costs are worth it.

It is a very insightful and moving post from a self-effacing, fallen soldier. I hope you will read it.

Andy was killed by a sniper while attempting to convince suspected insurgents to surrender before he and his men opened fire. Andy is survived by his wife Amanda.

[Thanks to Cosmic Variance.]

No comments: